To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2006 10:10 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Weekend events

Kitty did you ask for delayed shipping? Maybe you
should call back and talk to someone higher up?

Donna

--- Theresa <tchessie1@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Well- oops, that's not to good.  The order I placed
a month or two ago
got to my mom in TX right away.  She was delighted
with the plants and
now a couple are even blooming for her in her
garden.

Theresa

Kitty wrote:

>> My order from High Country Gardens showed up
Saturday morning

> Well, HCG cashed our check for $134.99, but didn't
bother to send any
> plants.  They say they have no order on file for
us.

> Kitty
> neIN, Zone 5
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Johnson Cyndi
D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT"
> <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>

and the ever-present
>> wind
>> this weekend, but it could have been worse, as
I'm reading about you
>> folks
>> on the list having floods and tornados and
drought.
>> My friend and I went hiking Saturday morning and
surprised a couple of
>> coyotes. Two of our dogs were off-leash and one
of them was chasing my
>> Trixie - we yelled at the top of our lungs and
then it took off. Kind of
>> scary actually, although Trix is a rottweiler
she's young, and fairly
>> small
>> for her breed. Then my friend's idiot dog took
off after the coyote,
>> he came
>> back safe and sound though. My friend got some
good pictures of them
>> watching us after that, I'll try and remember to
put them up on Yahoo.
>> My order from High Country Gardens showed up
Saturday morning too so
>> I spent
>> a while putting those in the ground. Lots of nice
penstemons and a
>> couple
>> more salvia. I ordered zauschneria again but this
time I decided to
>> try z.
>> arizonica, not z.californica, we'll see if it
makes a difference next
>> winter. I haven't pulled up the z.californica yet
since the
>> literature makes
>> me think it might still be alive under the dead
foliage...I did see the
>> faintest thread of green in one spot, but no
other signs of life. I'm
>> expecting it's dead but you never know. The
hummingbirds were pretty
>> unhappy
>> with me, they were trying to get to the salvia
greggii. Not much else
>> blooming yet; the daffodils are almost completely
gone, my few species
>> tulips are blooming and a couple iris. Oh and the
lilacs, and of
>> course some
>> wildflowers. Everything else is in bud.
>> I also planted the tomatoes. I did not take my
own advice. Last summer I
>> decided I would only plant 5 tomatoes.
However...when I sowed seeds I
>> decided on 15 plants, down from my usual 20. (I
swear, I am cutting
>> down on
>> almost everything else. Really.) And in rummaging
around the cupboards I
>> realized that while I canned lots of cut tomatoes
last year I am out of
>> sauce. So, I rationalize to myself, I need to
make sauce so this is
>> good.
>> I'm growing fresh-eating types Black Plum,
Persimmon, Porter's Pride,
>> Tiger
>> Stripe, and Ugly; and paste tomatoes Classica,
Saucy, Super Roma, and
>> San
>> Marzano. Last year the blossom-end rot was so bad
I lost probably 75%
>> of the
>> fruit, I'll be reviewing all the sources again
this year to see if I
>> can't
>> figure out why the calcium thing is so out of
whack in my garden. I
>> never
>> did do the soil test but there's probably still
time.
>> And I reseeded some peppers using the saltpetre
trick IslandJim
>> mentioned.
>> It's very late to be starting pepper seed but
what the heck, I'd like to
>> know if it works, and since only about 3/4 of
mine sprouted I won't
>> have too
>> too many. Unlike most veggies they're pretty
forgiving about being
>> left on
>> the plant for a long time, and if I get
overwhelmed they can wait.
>> I really am running late on much of the veggie
garden, either the
>> weather
>> has been bad or I have commitments elsewhere on a
weekend day. This
>> Sunday
>> we were at my sister's so no gardening got done
then. And my patio
>> plants
>> really need to come out of the greenhouse, but
first I need to clean
>> up the
>> patio and fix the watering. Well...at least with
daylight savings I