Re: id please?

Auralie, I do believe it is an Erythronium, but the only one I ever planted besides Pagoda (which is labeled and doing well) is E. dens-canis. I've looked at pics of E d-c and my leaves don't seem to have any of the brownish coloring, but otherwise look very much like it, including the oval shaping. It's possible my supplier sent me a different variety.

neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 10:23 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] id please?

Kitty, I didn't think Erythronium because the leaves are more
oval and less deeply colored and marked than the native ones
I am familiar with. I'm sure you know this, but be very careful
about moving them. At least with the native one, E. americanum
the bulb is halfway to China. In the place where I used to live
the woods were carpeted with them. I tried over and over to
move some to the beds around the house, but could never
dig deep enough to reach the bulb.
My wildflower book says the common name, "Trout lily" comes
from the fact that the leaves are brown and marked like the
brown trout.

In a message dated 04/21/2006 6:30:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,