To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2006 12:13 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] tax help - commercial names

Can anyone help me out with a website that might list commercial plant
names?
For example, there is a new Clematis out called Clematis Crystal Fountain
(TM). That is a commercial name, not the actual cultivar name, which is
Clematis 'Fairy Blue'. Commercial names aren't allowed to use quote marks.
Like Rosa Knock Out is really Rosa 'Radrazz'

But of course most things we read have not been scrutinized for taxonomical
correctness. So how do I know if I'm dealing with a commercial or cultivar
name? So far, my best reference is the RHS Plantfinder 2005-6, but not
everything is in there and the print is so tiny, and they listed R.
Knockout's real name as R. 'Daddler' - where'd that come from?

Anyway, does anyone have an easier source I can use?
Well, there's always the US Patent and Trademark Office.

  http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=s3sr49.1.1

But it's not very useful for non-unique names like Knock Out [TM] and it
doesn't turn up Crystal Fountain, but it does find others like Cardinal
Candy viburnum.

When I have a name I usually search the RHS database (also at

  http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/plantfinder.asp

) or do a Google search.

The tricky thing is that a trademark can be created by just about anyone,
so there's no requirement for it to be registered in a central location.
Those are registered trademarks (the little R in a circle symbol).

I know, that doesn't help.  :)

Chris