Re: Erythronium, Gene?

Chris, Kitty
Doubt it is the moisture thing with the trout lilies. I would guess it is more than likely the clone you have. some erythronium in locations bloom better than others. Also... when they are disturbed they will often "break up" into offsets that puts bloom back for a while. Dens-canis quite often will bloom the year you get it, then next year you will see a tight circle of foliage... one leaf size. Our two local naives will throw seed all over the place for one leaf plants. Takes about 5 to 7 years from seed to bloom on many of the species.
Mine are in decent garden soil, get mulched with chopped leaves each November... that is it. They also bloom better if given half a day of light.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

My 'Pagoda' does well too, but I've had similar luck with the other
Erythroniums -- they just put up foliage.

My Mom (who waters a lot more than me) gets blooms and the woods nearby
that flood in the spring are also blanketed with flowers, so I'm guessing
that they need more moisture than I provide.

Gene, you're the shade expert!  What do you think?