I would venture the worst case scenario would be this article's providing you with a good laugh with your real gardening friends. I think the editor's thinking might be like that of the mayor when I moved here. She was sure I would be an excellent city recorder (clerk) because I had worked for a government entity. I was supervising victim advocate at the state attorney's office in Key ;West. <LOL> I'm hoping the writer will have a good ability to listen to you and a good imagination to turn it into an interesting article.
zone 7
West TN
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Petersen" <chris@widom-assoc.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2006 10:22 PM

Last summer I gave away plants to some people on Freecycle. One of them was
an editor of some small section of our Long Island Newsday. She was a new
gardener. Well, we had a nice visit when she was here with her family and
she left with lots of plants for her garden. As fate would have it, she is
now in charge of the Thursday Home and Garden Section. Last week she sent a
staff writer to interview mw. What kind o article they plan to do is beyond
me. I'm not certain that they were clear on what direction this piece was
going. Anyway, the writer has been doing the criminal court writing for
nine years. She is a novice gardener and lives in a place in Brooklyn where
she has tried to grow some things in containers on her roof! She didn't
recognize even the most common plant names, so I'm really worried how
anything I said to her will translate into print! Talk about the blind
leading the blind! She was very nice and seemed to be intelligent, but how
can any one be expected to write on a subject like gardening when they don't
even know what a hosta is? And here she is in my garden in the SPRING! Most
of the ground is bare with only the bulbs blooming! How do you explain that
that bare spot will soon hold a plant that is three feet in diameter! I sent
her to my Yahoo photo site, but I'm not sure she ever looked at it.

Well, tomorrow a photographer is coming. It's been cold and raining all
day. Tomorrow is supposed to be the same. The early daffodils are gone, but
the later varieties are still blooming. Some minor bulbs and tulips will be
blooming. There is lush foliage showing everywhere, but spring would not be
when I want a photographer here if I had a say in it! The editor remembers
my summer garden. I hope that she is not disappointed!

Chris Petersen
Northport, Long Island, New York
Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)