To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 23, 2006 3:57 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] epis and Jeffersonia and Glaucidium

Late on this thread as usual, but I have been enjoying my epis this
year as I've been down in the woodland garden and caught most of them
while in bloom BUT did not have sense enough to take camera down to
get pix while they were at the height of bloom...yet again.  I've
got:

Epimedium brachyrrhizum
Epimedium cantabridgensis
Epimedium diphyllum - large leaf form
Epimedium epsteinii
Epimedium grandiflorum 'Lavender Lady'
Epimedium grandiflorum 'Lilafee'.....this really is a lovely child;
highly recommend it.
Epimedium grandiflorum 'Orion'
Epimedium grandiflorum 'Silver Queen'
Epimedium x  'Kaguyahime'.....this was given me by a UK pal; it is
tiny but the foliage and flowers are fabulous - well worth looking
out for.
Epimedium x rubrum
Epimedium x setosum
Epimedium versicolor
Epimedium x versicolor 'Sulphureum'
Epimedium x youngianum 'Azusa'
Epimedium youngianum niveum

All seem to be doing fine; some are doing a bit too fine as they're
covering more territory than I want them to:-)  Got several from
Daryl in '03 and I am finally beginning to recognize them and attach
their names to them - will take some time before I can look at these
plants and say this is X without scratching around for the label I
buried next to it:-)  My problem with Epimediums is that they're
addictive - so many and so little time and not enough $$:-)

I'd assumed that Daryl sent his plants later because of his zone -
they were later coming on.  Kitty, did he say that they should be dug
in June in all climate zones?

I also grow Jeffersonia diphylla and if I'm quick enough I get to see
the flowers - they're as brief as bloodroot but the plant is well
worth growing for the foliage.  Have a slew of Jeffersonia dubia that
I grew from seed; some flowered this spring and I badly need to dig
them up and pot them as they're crowded in a seedbed I made for them
too long ago.  Does anybody know when the best time to dig these
little darlings would be?  Same with Glaucidium palmatum - I have
about 4 that have survived from several years of trying to grow them
from seed - one is now blooming and they're mashed in behind some
hellebores and badly need more space.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Shadyside Garden Designs