RE: Lady Chatsworth - Once Again....

We bought the 7 acres across the road from us (where we found Lady
Chatsworth chasing after us actually!) and there is a tiny little island
out in one of the ponds. A Canadian Goose has her nest over there every
year...that's why I thought Ms. Chatsworth might have been one of those
babies left behind...only to find out that their babies are not WHITE
and do NOT have yellow beaks and feet. That Canadian is sitting on her
nest again this year. And Ms Chatsworth WILL hiss at you or anything
that gets in her "space" around the nest. I see the Mr. every now and
then, but I'm not home all day so I really don't know what happens
during the afternoon. You know what is interesting...after all these
years of having different kinds of "fowl"...I can tell the eggs apart. A
Mallard has pale green eggs. The Guineas have small tan colored eggs.
Goose has BIG eggs. The bantems have tiny little eggs that differ from
bird to bird. The only eggs I haven't seen yet are the peacocks.

 I have no idea what color of eggs they have.

  I just hope that she has some actual babies out of all this.  She's been sitting for about a week now.

Bonnie & Bill Morgan <wmorgan972@ameritech.net> wrote:
  I guess pregnancy is about the same no matter what kind of "animal" you are!
LOL!!! Well, at least now you know why she's grumpy. I'll bet she has more
eggs to be laid! Her Mr. is wise to give her space. I'm sure once her
hormones even out, he'll get to be closer to her. From what I've observed
around here from our Canadian Goose population, the Mr. guards the nest when
"momma" goose is out getting food. He also stays very close most of the
time to keep anyone from getting too close to "momma" or the eggs/chicks.
The two of them raise the hatchlings until they are large enough to go out
on their own.

At Bethany where mom is living, a goose laid her clutch of eggs on a small
island in a pond behind momma's building. We've been watching her when we
take walks there. Last week, we went behind the building and she was
sitting on the nest. There were a couple of egg shells about and I worried
a predator had gotten into her clutch. Her wing feathers ruffled and out
popped a tiny little gosling head! Mom got a real kick out of that! We'll
have to check on her again this week.

On the other side of the building was another goose on a nest, but much
closer to the walkway (though still behind the walk railing.) As we
strolled by her, she gave out a sharp hiss and ruffled her feathers. She,
however, had no hatched eggs as of yet. We'll check on her too.

There is a mallard family in one of the ponds there, so we are also looking
forward to seeing a duckling family parade through the facility grounds
sometime soon, too. (We haven't seen where there nest is yet.)

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)