To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 11:59 AM
Subject: [CHAT] An okay weekend

It was one of those good news/bad news weekends here, but it was all minor
stuff.
It didn't rain, but it was really windy, worse on Sunday. I planted 10
tomatoes last weekend; we had a freeze during mid-week (grrrr) and I lost 6
of them. My own fault; I didn't mulch them at all, because I was in a hurry
and figured we were past the last frost. I had some backups although I
didn't have a replacement for the "Ugly" variety. I replanted everything and
this time piled on the hay mulch. I also had to buy seed and replant much of
my lettuce - which wasn't a surprise since I used old seed, but I was hoping
for better. I planted soybeans, squash, and a row of green beans. I
haven't yet put in the peppers, too cold still. Still need to plant the
herbs - I'll be putting in one row each of cilantro, dill, parsley, and
basil. And I think I'll try eggplant and maybe okra this year just for fun.
My onions look great and so do the peas, and the lettuce that did germinate
is about 2 inches by now.
I noticed one of my jujube trees wasn't leafed out. I pulled on the trunk a
little and it just popped out of the ground, obviously a gopher got to the
roots. Only a year old so at least I don't have a lot invested. I think I
will buy another - since they are supposed to pollinate better with two -
and plant it very close to the first one, then I can buy something else for
the vacant space. Maybe a pear, I've never tried one before.
Two of the lilacs are spectacular and the others, always much later
blooming, are getting leaves. The white lilac is apparently determined on
world domination, sending out plenty of suckers, but hah hah, it can't go
much farther from the bubbler.
My front garden is green and lush although there's not much blooming yet.
The daffodils are pretty much gone and the iris have barely started. Big
buds on the roses though. Catmint is blooming, a little allium I've
forgotten the name of, a few heucheras, and the vinca. The geraniums are
HUGE this year but no flowers yet. The Spanish lavender in the dry garden is
looking very nice as is salvia greggii; but the other salvias and the
penstemons only have buds. Lots of California poppies and a few other
wildflowers in there, and - sigh - more grass to weed out. Bigger sigh -
another gopher got in there too.
I'm disappointed in one of the things I got from High Country Gardens. The 3
penstemon palmeri were really big compared to what they usually send, and
completely rootbound. They are not looking so hot after transplanting. I
guess I will drop them a note - after Kitty's experience I am wondering if
their operation is starting to go downhill or if it's just coincidence.
Theresa, thanks for the thought on the zauschneria. I am convinced my
z.californica is dead and I'm pretty sure it didn't like the freeze. I put
in the z.arizonica and will see how it does. Might be worth planting more of
the californica and trying mulch around it some other year; I seem to
remember that it went through repeated freezes before it was completely gone
so perhaps a little protection would do it.

Cyndi