Re: impending move was: epis and Jeffersonia and Glaucidium

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] impending move was: epis and Jeffersonia and Glaucidium
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 01:48:46 -0400

Well gang, bless all your hearts for your kind comments....this is
sort of a blanket reply.

Bonnie M......the long and short of it is that I just can't bring in
enough income to keep this place - it's now a really expensive part
of the world to live in.  Since my DH is pretty much a geriatric
invalid now and no longer active in the business,  I've been working
18 hour days for the last few years and am gettin' tired of it - not
becoming younger myself....and the house is really too big for
us.....so, while it's the last thing on earth I WANT to do, it's what
I'm gonna hafta do.   The only part I'm looking forward to is the
possibility of NOT having to work my buns off unless I really want
to:-)

I'm looking in Frederick and Washington counties - they're about 40
miles north -west of me and youngest step-son and DIL live in
Frederick.  Need to be close enough to get in to doctors and other
stuff periodically.

Kitty, you're right, this place is a lot of work and one of the goals
is MUCH lower utility bills.  If things pan out right, I'm going to
try for geothermal and some solar photovoltaic to help that along and
reduce dependence on the utility companies....keep your fingers
crossed!

Bonnie H., yes a big part of me will be left here and I dread it  but
I'm taking as much of my garden as is physically possible because I
am certain that the next owner will hire a crew to come in and rip it
out and put in grass and mulch; seems to be the thing to do these
days. Most people aren't interested in gardening and around here it
seems that they all hire it done, which means weedwhackers and leaf
blowers and mulch:-)

Lynda, I only wish I someone who loved gardening would buy it, but I
know the chances of that are slender and none around here.  Just wish
you all were closer so you could come dig up plants to take home to
your gardens.  I've been digging and potting like mad and barely made
a noticeable dent.

Zem,  you are so right and while the hanging out in the hall part is
hell, I am trying to look at it as an opportunity.....some days I'm
more successful at this than others.  Have a major amount of work
ahead of me to get this accomplished and while it would be best done
NOW, I may not make that goal given other obligations and what not.

Donna - tell me about the dumpster part!  Lordy!  Since I never
thought I'd have to move again, I have not paid any note to
accumulation over the years, figuring the kids would have to deal
with it one day.  Now I get to.  That's part of what's gonna take me
a while to get out of here!  Yikes!

Pam, not exactly sure where we'll end up yet but like I said earlier
in this post, hopefully in one of the adjacent counties.

Cathy - I'm sure I'm gonna be leaning on this list's kindness over
the next couple of years - you'll be too well informed:-)

Theresa - well, if you're interested, I'd make you a deal:-)

Everything is in the early stages here....once I get over the next
set of work deadlines, I'll be able to have some time to concentrate
on getting organized (she says hopefully).

I will keep ya' posted.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Shadyside Garden Designs