Re: More demons of ignorance, arrogance, and darkness

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] More demons of ignorance, arrogance, and darkness
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 02:21:42 -0400

Sickening; just sickening.  It looks like that jerk left some of the
DG bits on the palm...do you think, Jim, there's enough for it to
come back again?

I sure hope the locals are letting that city park dept. have it with
both barrels.  Don't they have a training program before they let
these guys loose?  I suppose not; just hire the cheapest labor going
as per usual.

It's probably a sign of aging, but it seems to me that a larger
proportion of the "employees" of any given entity one comes in
contact with these days were born one brick shy of a load and proud
of it.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Shadyside Garden Designs

> james singer <islandjim1@verizon.net> wrote:
>   Last evening I got an e-mail from a reporter in the Venice bureau
of
> the Sarasota Herald. She found me via "Dave's Garden." She wanted
> know if she could quote something I'd written on DG about night
> blooming cereus. Then she asked me if I was aware of what had
happened
> to one of 80-year-old night blooming cereus plants in an older
> neighborhood on Venice island. I said I wasn't.
>
> Turns out that a woman, Ms. Ruth, now in her 80s, "planted" night
> blooming cereus on two palm trees [Phoenix canariensis] in the
median
> in front of her house in the mid-1940s. I don't know which genus of
NBC
> they are--they're an epiphyte and their vegetative body is
cylindrical,
> about the diameter of a hot dog but in much longer stems. For the
last
> 30 or so years, the annual blooming of these two plants has been
> occasion for a block party; many neighbors gathered in Ms. Ruth's
front
> courtyard at sundown and waited until the cacti flowers open.
>
> Last year, the reporter told me, the assembled neighbors counted
more
> than 200 blooms. It must have been beyond glorious.
>
> About a week ago, a young city park's department employee cut the
NBC
> off one of the palms before he could be stopped. "I was told to
clean
> up street trees," he said. "And I thought this one was ugly." Here
are
> two pictures I took this AM; one is of the remaining "ugly" tree,
the
> other is of the beautified tree. If you know anything about pruning
P.