Re: More demons of ignorance, arrogance, and darkness

Apropos of this thread.... I volunteered to help clean up the median
strips on the street that leads into Quincy from the bridge across
the Mississippi from Missouri. They had received many complaints
about how "weedy" it was. It had been planted in native prairie
plants using state beautification money. Yes, there were some weeds
(dandelion, burdock, etc) but the majority of the prairie plants -
tons of prairie dropseed, echinacea, rudbeckia, coreopsis, etc had
great potential, if people just have patience. I persuaded the city
planner to give it another year and observe the plants and layout,
and if there were still complaints, till some in the middle of the
bed and plant something that might get the complainers off her back,
preserving the rest. Also suggested that the complainers be invited
to come out and contribute on the next "work day"!

Cathy, west central IL, z5b