Re: OT-commentary

Bonnie, you are so right. I was astonished to learn we can reduce our gas consumption by as much as 25% by driving 55 on the highway. I am trying to do that, but I think I'm putting my life in danger. <LOL>
zem
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 8:27 AM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] OT-commentary

Considering people in Europe are paying nearly twice what we pay, I'd say
we're doing pretty good, despite the higher profits for oil companies. Most
of them are not US based and could care less about our needs. Third world
countries as well as other larger/older nations are also increasing the
demand for gas and oil. We are in a supply and demand catch 22. Had we
taken the lead in the 70's when fuel was in short supply, we would be
driving different vehicles and not be slaves to the oil rich and not so
friendly nations. This is why Bill and I became so eco concerned and do our
best to put our money where our hearts are. Some oil companies are seeing
that they need to invest in alternative fuels and infrastructures. That
does not come cheep and it takes years to accomplish. Building cars that
will run on the new fuels inexpensively enough most Americans can afford is
another factor. If our "big three" had pulled their collective heads out of
the darkness, they'd have started work on that back in the 70's as well
instead of building more gas guzzlers. This is a complex problem that will
take time and complex solutions. It didn't happen overnight and it won't be
solved overnight. We might also conserve fuel by reducing speed limits
nation wide, but that will not go over very well, will it? That is just my
opinion. I do my best to keep my carbon footprint as small as possible.

Relax a little, Kitty. Your sale on Saturday is important for your income
as is your new job. I would put that first. If you have to, tell the MG
Nursery head that you need help and let someone else do some of that work.
They are not putting food on your table. Just because you are single
doesn't mean you don't have a life. (Yes, I know you enjoy working with the
MG Nursery, but you are only one person.)

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 50