RE: OT-commentary

I had heard that too, about the pawn shops. That is very sad and I feel for
those folks.  As the cost of doing business goes up because of fuel
increases, so will goods prices and services that use more fuel.  It will
take time to work out new solutions.

In the 70's during the fuel shortage, folks thought gas should be regulated
by putting a ceiling on the price.  The result was more pain.  People would
be in line for gas for 3 or more hours.  People ran out of fuel waiting in
long lines at the pump.   (I remember being in those lines and losing
precious time I needed to take care of the children after work.)  At that
point, I got a bus pass and did the "Park and Ride"  bus thing to and from
work.  It worked out to be less time than sitting at the pump forever and
cheaper, too.)  The folks who had the least time to wait were hurt the
worst...those working two jobs to make ends meet.  It was a fiasco.  And
today, with all the other nations clamoring for the same resources we want,
if we don't pay the price, they will sell it to someone else.  We really
don't have much control over what companies from other nations do.

As for not being able to afford a Prius, I fully understand that!  They are
not cheap and they are in great demand these days!!!  I'd love to get a new
one for Bill but can't afford it.   (There's that supply and demand thing
again.)  However, Toyota is putting out a new fuel efficient conventional
car (40mpg) called a Yaris for about half the price of the Prius (10-12K
base price.)  Even older model regular vehicles can be made more efficient
with tune-ups, properly inflated tires, slower speeds, etc.  It isn't a
perfect solution, for certain.   With my current unemployment, we are
working on doing as much as we can to make Bill's current car more
efficient.  Again, it isn't perfect, but it is what we CAN do.  (We're even
doing a bit of recycling, trying to find a new driver's door at a junk yard
for his car.  The current one's hinges have rusted through.  He has to crawl
over the passenger seat to get into the car right now.  That is getting
pretty old.)

I'm glad you are O.K., Kitty.  I'd hate to see you get burnt out!  You
deserve better.

Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)