Re: More demons of ignorance, arrogance, and darkness

There's no teaching when the student doesn't want to learn.

I'm surprised that Cornus florida is on a Protected Plant List, though. Has something changed in the environment to cause problems? I remember hundreds of them when we used to travel along the river or up the Thruway.

Maybe you guys can help me with a similar but unrelated problem.

The Federated Garden Clubs of New York State have a policy
restricting the use of plants on the NY State (not Garden Club)
Protected Plant List in competitive classes in a flower show.
The policy says "Commercially developed named hybrids or
cultivars (NOT NATURAL VARIETIES) of plants on the NY
list are permitted in competitive classes, but ONLY when the
I have been organizing state-sponsored Horticulture Schools
for nearly 18 years now.  In every single school - totalling nearly
30 - I have made a special emphasis of this policy.  I have
shown them acceptable named cultivars.  I have shown them
a slide program of protected plants.  I have brought in examples
of those not permitted.  Every time I have asked if anyone does
not understand.  They all assure me they understand completely.
Yet I include a question on every exam requiring an understanding
of this matter, and out of several hundred papers I have graded,
maybe 10 have answered the question correctly.  And this week
a student who is an Nationally Accredited judge, and who has
taken two of my previous Hort. schools, brought in a branch of
dogwood (Cornus florida) which is on the list, and which I had
used as an example several times, and expressed disbelief
when I told her it could not be used in a flower show.  "But it
grows in my yard" she said.  I feel totally depressed and
frustrated.  What am I missing?  What am I doing wrong or
not doing?