Re: More demons of ignorance, arrogance, and darkness

Interesting. I know that there's a Dogwood Blight (Discula) that's more severe up north than it is here. I reported the first infection here when I worked for the county Extension office. (I'm in a county that touches the mountains, where it seems to be more prevalent.)
We've lost quite a few Dogwoods to drought in the last couple of decades, and more surprisingly, many are infected each year with Powdery Mildew, which used to be almost unheard-of.

I didn't know Discula was so severe there as to put the tree under protected status. That's too bad. I, too remember when the hillsides were white every spring. My mother used to especially enjoy Sunday drives to Bear Mountain and surrounding areas just to look at the Dogwoods. Good gracious! I just realized that that was more than 40 years ago! Sigh.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 29, 2006 5:47 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] More demons of ignorance, arrogance, and darkness

Yes, there are a lot of Cornus florida in New York, but they fall into the
"exploitably vulnerable" category.  They suffered a severe setback in the
late '70s when they were under severe attack from a blight.  I know we
lost around 20 in our yard, but some have survived - developed a kind
of resistance, I guess.  However, every time we have a drought summer
as we have had all too often in the last decade, more disappear in the
woods.  I can remember when the hills were white with them, and now
you don't see that many wild ones.