To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 2:27 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: Help with H. americana!

Well, one does have to make allowances for volunteers tho' I'd have a
bit of trouble being nice about doing so in the face of idiocy:-)

I think I have a built in problem with someone calling themselves a
Master Gardener when they really are not....takes years of experience
and some fanatical devotion to become a real 'Master' at anything; a
crash course does not do the trick.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Shadyside Garden Designs

----------
From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>

Marge,
I do rather agree with you re our MGs, but then they are volunteers
and have
families and live long distance from the gardens. I guess they
don't like to
start too early in the season.

They do shred the leaves somewhat, but they pile them too high imo.

> have nothing against Impatiens - more appropriate for a woodland
> garden than coleus IMO
Chuckle...they love Coleus.  Now they don't use Impatiens, but they
love
scattering coleus everywhere. Sigh.

> does not sound like that group are really interested
> in gardening as I understand the term.
A lot of MGs are just dabblers.  They take the crash MG course and
then they
decorate rather than garden imo.  But as I said, these are people
with all
sorts of interests and this is just a small portion of their lives.
Don't
get me wrong, some have a lot of expertise, but more of them are
just having
some fun.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5