Finally most of the ice is gone and there are some definite
signs of spring.  Five daffodils have opened - their foliage is
all twisted and brown at the tips and the stems are short,
but they are shining brightly against a boulder.  The  crocus
in the back yard are opening.  Also a few in front.  The
Iris reticulata are blooming and there are several clumps
of showdrops.
Also I noticed this morning that several of the goldfinches
at the feeder had yellow patches.
It looks as if the quince that was showing color in January
won't be blooming after all - all the buds seem burned and
brown.  The shrub seems alive, though.  My Hellebore that
I thought was a total goner is showing some signs of live -
not much, but I'm hoping.
We are leaving on Tuesday for our semi-annual birding
trip to Bombay Hook and Chincoteague.  I would not have
tried this trip, since last fall's ended with Chet in the
hospital with vertigo, but he is determined.  I will be glad
to find some warmer weather and be away from the
telephone for a week, but I will miss my daily visits with
this group.