From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 9:23 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Weekend

Have you considered Arizona Cypress [Cupressus arizonica] for your
screen? Grows fast, drought tolerant, great windbreak, not unattractive
[a ton better than C. sempervirens, the cemetery tree]. Soil
Conservation Districts used to give them away every year.

On Apr 2, 2007, at 11:40 AM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

> I was busy outside too. Went to Theodore Payne to buy native plants on

> Friday, of course I spent too much. I got atriplex canescens
> (saltbush, on sale!), salvia clevelandii, s. leucophylla, s. "Pozo
> Blue", prosopis pubescens (screwbean mesquite), penstemon
heterophyllus and p.
> spectabilis, yucca whipplei (an impulse) and erigonum fasciculatum
> (california buckwheat). That replaces most of the xeriscaping that
> died in the Big Freeze. I put them all in the ground on Saturday,
> managing to puncture my hand with the hopefully gopher-repelling
> chicken wire. I asked the guy at Theodore Payne if he thought that
> would work and he just laughed mournfully. But we agreed it would be
> better than nothing.
> And then I went around the yard and dug up a bunch of volunteer pines
> and junipers to fill out along the back fence. We'll see if those fare

> any better than the natives. I want the natives, dagnabit, for birds
> and other wildlife but I really want to stop looking at the neighbor's

> junk pile and I'm getting desperate. I briefly considered the hated
> Siberian elm, but I'm not that desperate yet. Oooh...just had a
> thought...I could try chilopsis back there too.
> I planted a lot but not all of the heuchera, geraniums, nepeta and
> artemisia I bought from Bluestone, and got some weeding done. I got
> rid of the dead foliage on the lemon grass but sadly there was no
> green evident underneath all that, another victim of the freeze. I'll
> leave the stump for a while and see what happens. My hakonechaloa
> grass has returned, yay, and the azaleas look very nice finally. The
> camellia sinensis doesn't look good at all, but I'm not sure why. The
> roses have buds but I have one rose starting to bloom and one that is
> just barely starting to leaf out, funny. I lost some nandinas to the
> freeze too, but not my expensive ones.
> I need to get the tomatoes out of the greenhouse and start hardening
> off, and I need to plant more of the veggie garden. Actually the list
> of what I need to do is about 4 pages long, but I am trying to
> prioritize, and at least I'm not bored.
> Oh yes and we have cat and kitten living underneath the teahouse. To
> my complete astonishment husband suggested we trap and socialize the
> kitten. However his first attempt succeeded too well, he got mom and
> kitten and then both got away trying to transfer them out of the trap.
> Cyndi

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W