To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 6:47 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] cameras

Kitty,

Some of our local camera stores have sale prices as good or better than Office Depot, Target, etc. You can have the best of both worlds if you time it right.

In addition, camera shops used to (in the dark ages when I worked for some) make their money on up-selling and accessories rather on the basic box. I wouldn't hesitate to ask them for advice on the models they carry. They may also be able to save you big bucks by suggesting an earlier model that's being discontinued, but is still perfectly good - not to mention steering you away from the dogs.

I never minded if a client was upfront and said they wanted to pick my brain. There were very few who never came back for other stuff, even if they bought the camera elsewhere.

Depth of field in Macro mode has been stinky with both my old Kodak and my newer Canon, thought both take great landscape shots and both touted Macro capability. The Canon can be set to a specific ASA (but not, if I recall, shutter speed) and thus presumably can be forced to change F-stop, but it's such a pain in the patoot I haven't tried it for a year or more. The Kodak didn't have that capability, but it's old.