Re: unseasonable cold front

In a message dated 4/6/07 9:17:55 AM, cathy.c@insightbb.com writes:

> I have a couple
> of young shrubs planted last fall that may not be well enough
> established to re-leaf. Depressing

Cathy, this is certainly depressing.   I assume we will miss all our spring
flowering blooms.   I am wondering about the later blooming ones such as the
Tree Lilac, Liriodendron, Heptcodium &Vitex.
I did cover my 2 smaller Japanese maples but as cold as it is I doubt it will
do the job. My Bloodgood is approx 12' so it is impossible.   Our experience
with them a few yrs ago is they do not releaf.   I was so hoping to have
blooms on the fringe tree this year but I've kissed that idea goodbye.   I
will be
anxiously waitng to see the results of the tree peonies.   Mine are just limp.
  Have you had a hard freeze on these before?   Usually we may face one or
two nights below freezing but not this long & not this cold.   The past few
yrs
we have hosed them down early morning & it warms up but it has not warmed up
during the day now.
     Ceres