Re: unseasonable cold front

After hitting the upper 80s last week we are expecting 25 tonight, tomorrow night and Sunday night! I am freaking out. I have wrapped some plants in sheets and blankets. Our freeze warning extends until 10 a.m. tomorrow, and I'm leaving for work at 8:30 -- hope they can take the cold for 1-1/2 hours. However, I doubt it will matter much at that point. :o(
zone 7
West TN
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2007 9:02 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] unseasonable cold front

In a message dated 4/6/07 9:17:55 AM, cathy.c@insightbb.com writes:

I have a couple
of young shrubs planted last fall that may not be well enough
established to re-leaf. Depressing

Cathy, this is certainly depressing. I assume we will miss all our spring flowering blooms. I am wondering about the later blooming ones such as the
Tree Lilac, Liriodendron, Heptcodium &Vitex.
I did cover my 2 smaller Japanese maples but as cold as it is I doubt it will do the job. My Bloodgood is approx 12' so it is impossible. Our experience
with them a few yrs ago is they do not releaf.   I was so hoping to have
blooms on the fringe tree this year but I've kissed that idea goodbye.   I
will be
anxiously waitng to see the results of the tree peonies. Mine are just limp.
 Have you had a hard freeze on these before?   Usually we may face one or
two nights below freezing but not this long & not this cold. The past few
we have hosed them down early morning & it warms up but it has not warmed up
during the day now.

See what's free at