Re:Curly willow aka corkscrew willow

This tree grows all over Germany.  Every yard has one in it, the  corkscrew
willow, or the Harry Lauder Walkingstick.  In the late  winter everyone cuts
branches off the tree a month or so before Easter and  puts it in a vase.  These
branches then start to root and sprout out just  for Easter.  The branches
are decorated with wooden ornaments and decorated  eggs.  This becomes the
traditional Easter tree.

My mom brought several cuttings with her from Germany when she moved here  in
l986.  They do well here in zone 9, although they are actually  better suited
for cooler climates.   They tend to grow far too quickly  here and are not as
long lived, usually about 10 years.  In Europe they  would go through the
coldest of winters, and survive nicely.   The branches were also much more curly
and dense than they are here.   So I'm sure the tree will do well for you.

My mom, in the past 20 years that she has lived here, has shared Easter
trees that have sprouted with all her friends, all the way up to Vancouver,
Canada,  Seattle, Minnesota, etc.  They are all doing well.
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 4/10/2007 11:02:41 AM Central Daylight Time,