Re: Re:Curly willow aka corkscrew willow

Noreen, the shrub known as 'Harry Lauder's Walkingstick' is not
the same as corkscrew willow.  I grow them both.  'Harry Lauder'
is Corylus avellina 'Contorta,' and The corkscrew willow is
Salix Matsudana 'Tortulosa.'
Both are hardy here in zone 5, and both are favorite plants.
I had a very large 'Harry Lauder' for a number of years, but it
suddenly died abut ten years ago.  I thought perhaos the
problem was that it was planted over an old dry well, and
it's roots had finally reached the well - don't know why it
died because it had been a beautiful, healthy plant.  I have
replaced it with another in a different spot, but this one
seems more vulnerable to deer damage.  Like everything
else in the yard these days.
The year we moved  here - 1970 - a neighbor gave me some
branches of her curly willow for a flower arrangement, and
said it would root if given a chance.  Since that time I have
maintained a supply of young trees rooted from cuttings, and
have given many to interested people.  The trees have been
planted in my vegetable garden - I have a bench there and like
a bit of shade.  However, Chet doesn't want a tree there, so
when it begins to get big he cuts it down.  We have been
fighting this battle for so many years.  The current tree is
quite large, but I have made dire threats about what will
happen if this one is cut.  An ice storm a couple of years
ago topped it, so it is somewhat diminished.  My florist
friends love it, so I keep them supplied, and the tree under
control by trimming.  And I do have a row of rooted cuttings
for replacements.  I have found it to root very easily - just
stick it in the ground and it roots.  Aside from being rather
brittle, and dropping branches after a storm, it has been
no problem at all for me - just Chet who cuts it down.
Auralie

In a message dated 04/10/2007 11:22:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,