Re: Spring?

I'm glad you all had a good time and that you got home safely. I always look forward to your posts.
zem
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2007 8:26 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Spring?

Well, we're back from our birding trip to Delaware and
Virginia.  This was going to give us a much-needed
break from the miserably cold spring we've been
having.  HA!  I see from the list that you have all
been having more miserable weather.  We had rain
in Bombay Hook, Del., but it was sunny by the time
we reached Chincoteague - but very windy and in the
40s.   The weather stayed cold and windy, but bright
until Saturday, when we woke up to driving snow.  It
ended before noon, without much accumulation, but
the power was out in town most of the day. The
temperature never got above 52 degrees the entire
week.
Daffodils and forsythia and some fruit trees were in bloom.
The birds seem to have known that spring hadn't come yet.
There were fewer birds at both places than we have
seen in previous years - we keep a record.  However,
egrets were out in full mating plumage in Chicoteague -
Greats, Snowys, and a couple of Cattle Egrets.  They
put on a great display for us.  We also saw a lot of both
Great and Little Blue Herons.  Bombay Hook had lots
of Shovelers, but otherwise not many ducks either
place - some Mallards and Black Ducks, but just one
pair of Pintails, two pairs of Ruddys, and one pair of
Buffleheads.  Lots of Green-wing Teals at Bombay Hook,
but they are always there.  One oddity was a small flock
of Snow Geese still in Bombay Hook.  We asked at the
visitor center, and were told that their flocks had left
about March 15, but these were perhaps stragglers from
farther south that had stopped over because of the cold.

Nothing much seems to have changed in the weather
situation since we left.  It is still in the 20s at night and
not out of the 40s in the daytime.  Right now we are
having a real storm with heavy rain and wind, temperature
is 38 degrees.  Lovely!  I'm glad to be home, but it was
a nice break - even if too cold and windy for much
outside activity.
Auralie