Everyone still above water?

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Everyone still above water?
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:11:17 -0700

Wow some of you are experiencing a bit of drama with the weather. I'm
hoping everyone is okay and holding out positive thoughts for your poor
gardens.
We had some fierce winds last Tuesday - even made the national news
apparently as my friend in New Mexico called to talk about it - but
nothing much happened at my house. The freeways were all shut down north
of where I work but since we live to the south we had little trouble
getting home, just a couple miles where visibility was almost
non-existent due to the blowing dirt. I did wake up Friday morning with
allergy problems but it's mostly subsided by now. Everything is covered
with dust though.
Didn't get anything done to the veggie garden this weekend, it does need
attention though. I lost a couple tomato plants, the eggplants, some
corn, and some beans since it did get down just to freezing on Thursday
night.  Thought about replanting but decided I would work on the pond
instead, so I had husband fix the pump and I cut out all the old
cattails and tried to scoop out gunk from the bottom. I moved all the
pots of cannas from around it and happily discovered they are not all
dead, I figured the Big Freeze would have done them in but there are
some shoots emerging. I want to try the trick of spraying the pots with
Rustoleum since they are the black nursery containers. Mowed the lawn,
trimmed the grass around the pond itself and tried cutting back the
sycamores some, we'll definitely have them trimmed next year. And I
started transplanting peppers in the greenhouse into bigger pots, I
won't try putting them out for a few weeks at least.
Sunday we went riding at Vasquez Rocks, you have probably seen this
place on TV or in a movie, it is very popular for filming and in fact
there was a crew that day. We have not visited there before and were
pretty impressed, there are plenty of trails and the rock formations are
wonderful. Part of the Pacific Crest Trail goes through there and we
took the trail where it goes through a tunnel under the freeway, our
horses did great with that, I did not think they would go into the
tunnel but they were only a little afraid. And there was minor wind,
weird because it was blowing pretty good at our house only 20 minutes
away.
It seems to be reasonable out there today so with luck I can spend an
hour or so each night on the veggies this week. My roses are in bloom
now, so I want to pick them for rose jelly too; I can store the infusion
in the freezer until I have time to make the jelly.

Cyndi