From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2007 11:00 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Everyone still above water?

Hola, Cyndi--Yeah, Vasquez rocks is uber cool. I love the place. My
cousin and I often went camping there when we were in highschool. Once,
I was even paid by a professional photographer to take him there and
show him around. Old Tiburcio was quite a rogue--ever read his
biography? http://snipurl.com/1gqdi He used to bribe his jailers to
allow him to throw parties in and amongst the cells--complete with
mariachis and [ahem] dancing girls.

About those tacky Rustoleumized pots. They really great. Just be sure
all the crusty crud is off the areas to be painted. Incidentally, Ms
Fatma really got on my case when I first painted mine and placed them
conspicuously in the front patio. But last weekend, she said "We need a
few more of those. Especially for the heliconia and the sugarcane. Will
you paint some?" I said sure--and kept my mouth shut otherwise.

On Apr 16, 2007, at 1:11 PM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

> Wow some of you are experiencing a bit of drama with the weather. I'm
> hoping everyone is okay and holding out positive thoughts for your
> poor gardens.
> We had some fierce winds last Tuesday - even made the national news
> apparently as my friend in New Mexico called to talk about it - but
> nothing much happened at my house. The freeways were all shut down
> north of where I work but since we live to the south we had little
> trouble getting home, just a couple miles where visibility was almost
> non-existent due to the blowing dirt. I did wake up Friday morning
> with allergy problems but it's mostly subsided by now. Everything is
> covered with dust though.
> Didn't get anything done to the veggie garden this weekend, it does
> need attention though. I lost a couple tomato plants, the eggplants,
> some corn, and some beans since it did get down just to freezing on
> Thursday night.  Thought about replanting but decided I would work on
> the pond instead, so I had husband fix the pump and I cut out all the
> old cattails and tried to scoop out gunk from the bottom. I moved all
> the pots of cannas from around it and happily discovered they are not
> all dead, I figured the Big Freeze would have done them in but there
> are some shoots emerging. I want to try the trick of spraying the pots

> with Rustoleum since they are the black nursery containers. Mowed the
> lawn, trimmed the grass around the pond itself and tried cutting back
> the sycamores some, we'll definitely have them trimmed next year. And
> I started transplanting peppers in the greenhouse into bigger pots, I
> won't try putting them out for a few weeks at least.
> Sunday we went riding at Vasquez Rocks, you have probably seen this
> place on TV or in a movie, it is very popular for filming and in fact
> there was a crew that day. We have not visited there before and were
> pretty impressed, there are plenty of trails and the rock formations
> are wonderful. Part of the Pacific Crest Trail goes through there and
> we took the trail where it goes through a tunnel under the freeway,
> our horses did great with that, I did not think they would go into the

> tunnel but they were only a little afraid. And there was minor wind,
> weird because it was blowing pretty good at our house only 20 minutes
> away.
> It seems to be reasonable out there today so with luck I can spend an
> hour or so each night on the veggies this week. My roses are in bloom
> now, so I want to pick them for rose jelly too; I can store the
> infusion in the freezer until I have time to make the jelly.
> Cyndi
Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W