Recall - not Wheat Gluten

Note that these don't have wheat gluten, and include several dry varieties.

Contact:
Consumer Inquiries:
(800) 829-4493

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Pacoima, CA -- April 17, 2007 -- Natural Balance,
Pacoima, CA, is issuing a voluntary nationwide recall for all of its Venison
dog products and the dry Venison cat food only, regardless of date codes. The
recalled products include Venison and Brown Rice canned and bagged dog foods,
Venison and Brown Rice dog treats, and Venison and Green Pea dry cat food.
Recent laboratory results show that the products contain melamine. We believe
the source of the melamine is a rice protein concentrate. Natural Balance has
confirmed this morning that some production batches of these products may
contain melamine.

The recall was prompted by consumer complaints received by Natural Balance
involving a small number of cats and dogs that developed kidney failure after
eating the affected product.

Dogs or cats who have consumed the suspect food and show signs of kidney
failure (such as loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting) should be seen by a
veterinarian. We recommend our customers immediately stop feeding our recalled
venison products regardless of date code and return unused product to their
retailer for a full refund.

The products are packaged in bags, cans and zip lock treat bags and sold in
pet specialty stores and PetCo nationally.

No other Natural Balance products are involved in this voluntary recall as
none of our other formulas include the rice protein concentrate.

Although the problems seem to be focused on a particular production period of
the venison products, over the last four days we have notified our
distributors and retailers by phone and e-mail to immediately stop selling and
return all recalled Venison dog foods and treats and the Venison dry cat food.
Venison canned cat food is not involved.

The source of the melamine appears to be a rice protein concentrate, which was
recently added to the dry venison formulas. Natural Balance does not use wheat
gluten, which was associated with the previous melamine contamination.

None of Natural Balance's other dry formulas, none of our other canned or roll
products and none of our other treats are involved with this voluntary recall.

We continue to work closely with the FDA in their ongoing investigation.

Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-800-829-4493 or visit
the website at www.naturalbalance.net.

####