Fw: Royal Canin USA Announces the Voluntary Nationwide Recall of its Dry Pet Food Products Containing Rice Protein Concentrate

  • To: "gardenchat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Fw: Royal Canin USA Announces the Voluntary Nationwide Recall of its Dry Pet Food Products Containing Rice Protein Concentrate
  • From: "Daryl" <pulis@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:13:11 -0400

Royal Canin USA Announces the Voluntary Nationwide Recall of its Dry Pet Food
Products Containing Rice Protein Concentrate
Erik Mueller

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- St Charles, Missouri -- April 19, 2007 -- Royal Canin
USA is announcing today that the company has determined there is a melamine
derivative in the rice protein concentrate in some of its dry pet food

Although Royal Canin USA has no confirmed cases of illness in pets, we have
decided to voluntarily remove all of our dry pet food products containing rice
protein concentrate. We are taking this proactive stance to avoid any
confusion for our customers about which Royal Canin USA products are safe and
which products may be affected.

"We are as passionate about the health and happiness of our customers' pets as
we are of our own, so we are committed to taking the steps necessary to ensure
this never happens again," said Olivier Amice, President and CEO of Royal
Canin USA.

As a precaution, Royal Canin USA is voluntarily recalling the following dry
pet food products:

ROYAL CANIN VETERINARY DIETT (available only in veterinary clinics)
Dry Dog Food

  a.. Canine Early Cardiac EC 22T
  b.. Canine Skin Support SS21T
Dry Cat Food

  a.. Feline Hypoallergenic HP23T
ROYAL CANIN SENSIBLE CHOICE. (available in pet specialty stores nationwide)

Dry Dog Food

  a.. Chicken Meal & Rice Formula Senior
  b.. Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Puppy
  c.. Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Adult
  d.. Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Senior
  e.. Rice & Catfish Meal Formula Adult
Based on today's announcement, pet owners should immediately stop feeding
their pets the Royal Canin USA dry pet food products listed above. Pet owners
should consult with a veterinarian if they are concerned about the health of
their pet. No other Royal Canin diets are affected by this recall and CONTINUE
TO BE safe for pets to eat.

Along with this announcement, Royal Canin USA will no longer use any Chinese
suppliers for any of our vegetable proteins.

"On behalf of the entire Royal Canin family, our hearts go out to the pet
owners and everyone in the pet community who have been affected by all of the
recent recalls," said Dr. Denise Elliott, Director of Scientific Affairs for
Royal Canin USA. "We are working very closely with the FDA to assist in its
efforts to determine the cause of this most recent and disturbing

The safety and nutritional quality of our pet food is Royal Canin USA's top
priority as we understand that the health of pets comes first. Pet owners who
have questions about this recall and other Royal Canin USA products should
call 1-800-592-6687 or visit our web site at www.royalcanin.us.

All Royal Canin USA products have a satisfaction guarantee and we will refund
or replace the diets that have been recalled.

FDA's Recalls, Market Withdrawals and Safety Alerts Page:

Thanks for subscribing to the FDA Recalls list.

To subscribe to or unsubscribe from this list, go to