Re: Kitten Dry Food>scheduling

Kitty,

I try to keep up, but this came from an animal rescue friend a few minutes ago. She's concerned that the AVMA website is updating faster than the FDA, and of course the "green" groups and animal rescue are ahead of both. This is the latest.

-
Thursday, April 19, 2007 (AP)
FDA Asks if Pet Food Tainted on Purpose
By ANDREW BRIDGES, Associated Press Writer

(04-19) 14:50 PDT WASHINGTON, (AP) --

Imported ingredients used in recalled pet food may have been
intentionally spiked with an industrial chemical to boost their
apparent protein content, federal officials said Thursday.

That's one theory being pursued by the Food and Drug
Administration as it investigates how the chemical, melamine,
contaminated at least two ingredients used to make more than 100
brands of dog and cat foods.

So far, melamine's been found in both wheat gluten and rice
protein concentrate imported from China. Media reports from South
Africa suggest a third pet food ingredient, corn gluten, used in
that country also was contaminated with melamine. That tainted
ingredient has not been found in the United States, the FDA said.

FDA investigators, meanwhile, are awaiting visas that would allow
them to visit the Chinese plants where the vegetable protein
ingredients were produced.

"Melamine was found in all three of those — it would
certainly lend credibility to the theory that it may be intentional.
That will be one of the theories we will pursue when we get into the
plants in China," Stephen Sundlof, the FDA's chief veterinarian,
told reporters.

Chinese authorities have told the FDA that the wheat gluten was
an industrial product not meant for pet food, Sundlof said. Still,
melamine can skew test results to make a product appear more protein-
rich than it really is, he added. That raises the possibility the
contamination was deliberate.

"What we expect to do with our inspections in China will answer
some of those questions," said Michael Rogers, director of the
division of field investigations within the FDA's office of
regulatory affairs.

Wilbur-Ellis Co., the U.S. importer of the tainted rice protein,
said Thursday it was recalling all the ingredient it had distributed
to five U.S. pet food manufacturers. The San Francisco company in
turn urged its customers to recall any products that may be on store
shelves.

So far, just two of those companies have done so: Natural Balance
Pet Foods and Blue Buffalo Co.

Natural Balance, of Pacoima, Calif., announced a limited recall
Monday of its Venison and Brown Rice canned and bagged dog foods,
Venison and Brown Rice dog treats and Venison and Green Pea dry cat
food.

Blue Buffalo, of Wilton, Conn., followed Thursday by recalling
5,044 bags of its Spa Select Kitten dry food. The company
intercepted most of the kitten food before it reached distribution
centers, company co-founder Billy Bishop said.

FDA officials would not release the names of the other two
manufacturers that Wilbur-Ellis supplied, citing its ongoing
investigation.

The FDA and Agriculture Department also were investigating
whether some pet food made by one of the five companies supplied by
Wilbur-Ellis was diverted for use as hog feed after it was found
unsuitable for pet consumption.

"We understand it did make it into some hog feed and we are
following up on that as well," Sundlof said.

The FDA could not provide updated numbers of pet deaths or
injuries due to the contaminated pet food. The agency has received
more than 15,000 calls since the first recall was announced more
than a month ago.

___

On the Net:

Food and Drug Administration pet food recall info:

www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/petfood.html ---------------------
Copyright 2007 AP