speaking of nurseries and recycling

One of the many things I did yesterday was stopping at a new to me
nursery. Although they were primarily a u pick veggie place, they
expanded a couple years ago into spring flowers.

As I wandered around the place, many things had 'sold' tags on them,
although they did have many individual plants for sale. Seems they are
in the recycled mode. In Feb they send those on their mailing list a
notice to bring in their containers- whether previously bought from them
or something you have around. You discuss with their designers the
colors you prefer for next year and what type conditions this planter
will be in (sun shade etc). They tell you on the spot what they are
going to charge you so you have no surprises when you pick it up in May.
They said it works well, since they don't have many extra made up pots,
and from what I could see, their designers are top notch not using any
of the normal stuff, and being in the greenhouse growing in the
containers they are lush and wonderful. And let me also say, they had
some of the best hard-scape containers there I ever seen!... I wanted to
buy some of them in the worst way!

One of the things I might try with them next year are the living
wreaths.... they used a mixture of annuals and perennials. I liked how
they incorporated the soaker hose in the wreath to make watering easy
and not spilling off and drying out too quickly.

They also had a zoo of animals planted up.... topiary type stuff.

Not sure how common this is.... but first time I ever encountered this type of nursery set up.

Donna