RE: Greenhouse - was Could have been worse

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: RE: Greenhouse - was Could have been worse
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:26:33 -0700

I am doing okay, the bruises are still forming oddly enough, but at least the
ones on my face are going away...and no one can see the others. I can walk
better, still can't bend to the ground but getting better, if this big cramp
in the back of my thigh would leave I'd be happier. I tell ya, you just don't
bounce back the same way when you get older. I am checking out new helmets
online since they say even if your helmet looks okay, if you've been in a
wreck you are supposed to get a new one.
My greenhouse is, ummm, I think 8x14. It is redwood and polycarbonate with air
channels running through it, I forget exactly what they call that, but it
provides more insulation than just the corrugated kind. I have seen the little
ones in front yards before and they don't look bad, especially if you have
blooming plants inside toward the front. Ours was a kit we put together,
husband put down treated 4x4s for the walls and we used brick for the floor,
just laid it in. Problem there is that ants come through the cracks and the
occasional weed gets a toehold. Otherwise no problems with it in...wow...10
years? Oh yes and he built the benches, we didn't buy those; he put in a hose
outlet, and I have 3 big water barrels holding up one bench, the idea was to
provide some passive heat exchange thingy. Not sure it works, but they're
there.
It is getting too much shade now. When we put it up there was a struggling
sycamore near it, and we left the tree there. I guess it got big enough to
find some water since it is way too big now and shading the greenhouse. I
wouldn't care, since I don't use the GH in the summer, but sycamores do not
drop their leaves until very late in winter so it has to go. Too bad.

Cyndi