From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net on behalf of james singer
Sent: Tue 4/24/2007 2:28 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Could have been worse

Good grief. You've reminded me of why I've had no interest in riding
horses for the last 60 years. May you recover quickly--your garden
needs you.

On Apr 23, 2007, at 7:29 PM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

> Not a lot of gardening got done over the weekend. Sunday was
> forecasted to be
> windy & drizzly, so husband and I took the horses out for what was
> supposed to
> be a nice ride Saturday morning. About 15 minutes into it, I suggested
> horse that we might try a nice canter. He took off at a dead run,
> straight for
> a huge juniper, and I fell off. At speed. It's a damn good thing I
> wear a
> helmet. Much drama ensued but I eventually managed to walk back to the
> trailer
> and I've been on the couch pretty much since, with a visit to the dr
> this
> morning - I didn't break anything (sigh of relief). Pretty much
> everything
> related to my butt hurts, my sunglasses had a contest with my nose (the
> glasses won), I have a big lump on my forehead despite the helmet, and
> one
> hand is black & blue. It was almost entirely my fault and I've learned
> lesson - that could have been so much worse.
> On the plus side, my husband went out and bought a helmet for himself!
> So anyway, that took care of Saturday. Sunday turned nasty just as
> forecast,
> but I did manage to totter out to the greenhouse and transplant a few
> more
> peppers into bigger pots. I haven't looked at the veggie garden since
> Thursday
> after work! It's probably safe to replant the tomatoes that got
> frosted, but I
> won't put the peppers out until first week in May I think. Husband
> caught
> another ground squirrel and has seen a rabbit lurking inside the
> veggie garden
> under the rosemary bush. My green beans need replanting, I have no
> idea what's
> going on underneath the cover for the peas or the soybeans, the onions
> look
> fine.  My roses are looking pretty nice and I've made my first batch
> of rose
> "tea", to make jelly with later. I think I could manage to do some
> deadheading
> out there tomorrow; I'm not going to try going into work for another
> day.
>
> Cyndi

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10
Heat Zone 10
Sunset Zone 25
Minimum 30 F [-1 C]
Maximum 100 F [38 C]

Yeah, you'd think I'd have taken this up when I was more resilient.
Instead I spent my 20s and 30s in the garden instead of the other way
around. Oh well, I learned something, I'm not permanently injured (whew)
and there's risk in every endeavour I suppose.

Cyndi

________________________________

Good grief. You've reminded me of why I've had no interest in riding
horses for the last 60 years. May you recover quickly--your garden
needs you.

On Apr 23, 2007, at 7:29 PM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

> Not a lot of gardening got done over the weekend. Sunday was
> forecasted to be
> windy & drizzly, so husband and I took the horses out for what was
> supposed to
> be a nice ride Saturday morning. About 15 minutes into it, I suggested
> horse that we might try a nice canter. He took off at a dead run,
> straight for
> a huge juniper, and I fell off. At speed. It's a damn good thing I
> wear a
> helmet. Much drama ensued but I eventually managed to walk back to the
> trailer
> and I've been on the couch pretty much since, with a visit to the dr
> this
> morning - I didn't break anything (sigh of relief). Pretty much
> everything
> related to my butt hurts, my sunglasses had a contest with my nose (the
> glasses won), I have a big lump on my forehead despite the helmet, and
> one
> hand is black & blue. It was almost entirely my fault and I've learned
> lesson - that could have been so much worse.
> On the plus side, my husband went out and bought a helmet for himself!
> So anyway, that took care of Saturday. Sunday turned nasty just as
> forecast,
> but I did manage to totter out to the greenhouse and transplant a few
> more
> peppers into bigger pots. I haven't looked at the veggie garden since
> Thursday
> after work! It's probably safe to replant the tomatoes that got
> frosted, but I
> won't put the peppers out until first week in May I think. Husband
> caught
> another ground squirrel and has seen a rabbit lurking inside the
> veggie garden
> under the rosemary bush. My green beans need replanting, I have no
> idea what's
> going on underneath the cover for the peas or the soybeans, the onions
> look
> fine.  My roses are looking pretty nice and I've made my first batch
> of rose
> "tea", to make jelly with later. I think I could manage to do some
> deadheading
> out there tomorrow; I'm not going to try going into work for another
> day.
>
> Cyndi

Island Jim
Southwest Florida