Fw: Blue Buffalo Recalls Can and Biscuit Products Due To Tampering By American Nutrition Inc.

  • To: "gardenchat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Fw: Blue Buffalo Recalls Can and Biscuit Products Due To Tampering By American Nutrition Inc.
  • From: "Daryl" <pulis@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:36:09 -0400

I really feel sorry for the owners of Blue Buffalo. What a mess!

Recall -- Firm Press Release

FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals
from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other
interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
This listserv covers mainly Class I (life-threatening) recalls. A complete
listing of recalls can be found in the FDA Enforcement Report at:

Blue Buffalo Recalls Can and Biscuit Products Due To Tampering By American
Nutrition Inc.
Consumer Inquiries:
Media Inquiries:
David Petrie

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Wilton, Connecticut, April 26, 2007- We at the Blue
Buffalo Company have just learned that American Nutrition Inc. (ANI), the
manufacturer of all our cans and biscuits, has been adding rice protein
concentrate to our can formulas without our knowledge and without our
approval. This is product tampering, and it apparently has been going on for
some time. The can formulas that we developed, and trusted them to produce,
never contained any rice protein concentrate. It appears that only an FDA
investigation of ANI's rice protein concentrate supplies forced them to reveal
this product tampering to us.

While this activity by ANI is in itself unlawful, the situation is further
clouded by the fact that ANI has been receiving rice protein concentrate from
Wilber-Ellis, some of which the FDA has determined to be contaminated with

So while no BLUE or Spa Select canned product has tested positive for the
presence of melamine, and there has been no reported illness due to any of our
canned products, we simply cannot be sure of what ANI has been including in
our formulas. For this reason, we have decided to remove all of our canned and
biscuit products from retail distribution. While this may seem to many to be a
major over-reaction, as other ANI customers will probably only recall the
products that tested positive for melamine, we see this as a matter of

We founded Blue Buffalo on the principle of providing dogs and cats with the
highest quality and most nutritious food, and we will not sell any product
that doesn't meet this standard. And under these circumstances, we cannot say
that any products manufactured by ANI measure up.

The obvious question is "how could Blue Buffalo not know that ANI was putting
rice protein concentrate into our canned food?" The answer is we trusted them.
In business and in life, we all trust our partners to deal with us honestly.
When we buy produce from our local grocery store, we are trusting growers,
shippers and a series of handlers to have delivered a product that is safe and
nutritious for our family. If any one of these parties betrays our trust,
contaminated products can make their way to our dinner table.

And while we test for known toxins and contaminants, we don't test for protein
sources, like rice protein concentrate, especially when we did not formulate
our products to contain them.

In the end, this all comes down to an issue of integrity, and ANI has not been
honest with us and with the pet parents who buy our products. We will not put
any product made by ANI on the shelf, and are temporarily withdrawing an
important part of our business in order to be true to our pet parents.

We have already started the process of identifying a can and biscuit
manufacturer with whom we can build a partnership based on trust. Once we have
accomplished this, BLUE and Spa Select cans and BLUE Health Bars will be
reintroduced with the high quality and superior nutrition that our brand
stands for and that dogs and cats deserve.

We have informed our retail partners and the FDA about this action and will be
cooperating with them to complete this recall quickly. The specific product
involved includes all "BLUE" brand can dog foods, all "Spa Select" brand can
cat foods and all "BLUE Health Bar" treats.

Consumers who have unused or partially used packages of any of these products
should return them to their place of purchase for a complete refund.

All "BLUE" dry natural food for dogs and "Spa Select" dry natural foods for
cats are not affected by this recall and are safe for consumption. Should
consumers have a specific question, they can call the Company at
1-800-919-2833, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EDT, to receive more

FDA's Recalls, Market Withdrawals and Safety Alerts Page:

Thanks for subscribing to the FDA Recalls list.

To subscribe to or unsubscribe from this list, go to