does one pinch tomatoes?

I'm not sure whether it's time to plant my Sweet Baby Girl tomato plants out yet but I think I will move them up a pot size. I checked Crocket's Victory Garden and he says that in the sprawling method, tomatoes do not get pruned. But he only mentions pruning for other methods as "...[when] no pruning is done, the crop matures later than with the single-stem methods. Pruning encourages early ripening at the expense of heavy yield." But doesn't an unpruned sprawling method indicate single-stem? He does mention removing suckers - is that term the same as suckers on shrubs?

I do know to transplant them more deeply, up to their seed leaves to strengthen the stem, but I thought pinching the growing tip would not only cause branching (which I assume to be a good thing) would also thicken the base of the plant.

neIN, Zone 5