To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2007 7:47 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] does one pinch tomatoes?

Kitty, I do not pinch but I do prune up the stem as it matures to approx. 1', lay newspapers around the plant and top with grass clippings several inches thick. Disease is caused by water splashing from the soil to the lower leaves
and this helps prevent that & the papers & clippings hold a consistent
moisture. I do not fertilize but add compost to the beds each fall. My tomatoes
get 8-9' tall & produce masses of fruit.   The Sweet Baby Girl did not get
quite that tall last year which was the first year I grew the variety. Be fore fall frost I gather the green tomatoes & place in a brown paper sack to ripen.
They are much to tall to pull & hang.   Bonnie, isn't that   a mess?
    BTW, Kitty, I plant my tomatoes in the ground approx May 15.
              Ceres