  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Extremes
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:22:57 -0700

In March, it was 90 degrees for a week and a half. Mid-April, two nights
of hard frost. This weekend, back to 90 degrees again. How's a girl
supposed to grow veggies? This is very frustrating. My pea plants are
just starting to get flower buds, if it doesn't cool off any peas that
do fruit will not be worth picking.
I am getting around better so I tottered into the garden this weekend.
My husband planted the rest of the tomatoes, what a guy. I discovered if
I sit in one of the chairs from the card table, I can sort of lean over
sideways and pull weeds with one hand. The funny part was that the front
legs of the chair start sinking in the soft soil (the back legs have a
horizontal support at the ground) so I had to be careful or the thing
would tilt too far and I couldn't get up.
Anyway I weeded the beans - what is left of the beans after that frost -
and replanted by standing up and rolling the bean seeds down a length of
PVC. Actually I was fairly pleased with myself, I also got a new patch
of corn planted the same way. Had to have husband lay out the hose
though. I was very surprised to see green shoots appearing where the
eggplant froze to the ground, I didn't think those would come back - the
tomatoes that froze didn't. Onions are doing great, there is lettuce
underneath all the weeds, and I actually have a pretty good cilantro
crop - just need to harvest it before the heat makes it bolt. Not being
able to bend much is mostly inconvenient; I can't weed, but oh dear, I
can't load the dishwasher either. :-)
Husband was invited to go riding with my sister on Sunday so off they
went (sniff). I discovered that my air chair - it hangs from the
sycamore - is surprisingly the most comfortable thing we have for me to
sit in. So I sat under the tree in the shade and read most of the day,
ignoring that mental itch about how nothing was getting done.  It wasn't
so bad y'know?