To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 4:42 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] does one pinch tomatoes?

I use the same cage system but I put those wall-o-water things around
the cage when I plant, to give them some wind and shade protection in
the first few weeks. I gave up trying to use the things with water in
them, it was way more trouble than it was worth, but all my cages are
the right size just to slip it over.
I never prune because I need all the foliage I can get to prevent
sunscald on the tomatoes. I am sure hoping for better results this year,
the blossom end rot problem last year was just too too bad. I really
should call the soil test place and talk to them about the results I got
from the test last fall.
The other thing I might try is really giving them a lot more water. I
don't know...seems like I've been doing the same thing every year and
just in the past couple the BER thing is bad, so soil chemistry is the
first thing I think of, but I suppose it could be not enough
water...maybe it's hotter for longer and my watering isn't keeping up or