Re: Re: Camellias and tea

Any idea how big that tea farm is, Andrea?

On Apr 6, 2008, at 7:10 PM, Andrea Hodges wrote:

That would be correct. Charleston, SC. And who knew? The tea thrown overboard at the Boston Tea Party was made from C. sinensis. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Cathy Carpenter" <cathy.c@insightbb.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2008 5:40 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: Camellias and tea

I understand that the only tea grown commercially in the US is in a
southern atlantic state - south carolina???

Cathy, west central IL, z5b

On Apr 5, 2008, at 10:00 PM, Andrea Hodges wrote:

Yes-tea comes from Camellia sinensis. They originate from China and
the first tea was made in the 6th century bc. I know this because
I'm writing my last paper on propagating camellia japonica and
sasanqua. Been researching their history.

Jim-they grow quite well in the Pacific northwest as far as I can
tell. I'm amassing quite a collection of japonica and sasanqua as
they are two of my most favorite plants in the world. There's a tea
farm right outside of Charleston that I'd like to visit someday-just
haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm almost done with my paper if
anyone wants to read it when it's done. There many great books out
there on all species of Camellia for those who want their own tea.

----- Original Message ----- From: "james singer" <islandjim1@verizon.net