From: james singer <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Sunday, April 6, 2008 6:30:30 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: Camellias and tea

Hibiscus is such a huge conglomeration of plants. Hibiscus tea is made
from the fried flowers of either--I'm not sure which--of H. sabdariffa
[true roselle] or H. acetosella [false roselle]. I've heard both, so
maybe both, or either, or neither. When I first moved down here, I grew
false roselle because the leaves are a nice salad green [actually
purple]. When I acquired some Mexican friends and they saw the plants,
they asked if they could have the flowers to make tea, which they told
me was a popular drink at home [Mexico]. On the other hand, I've
heard--and I forget where--that one of the primary ingredients of Red
Zinger is the dried flowers of the true roselle.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10