Re: climbing rose

Hi DF-
As far as I know most commercial roses are grafted onto rootstock still. You actually have to hunt down places that grow "own-root" roses. The "own-root" roses will never have suckers from the root stock that have to constantly be cut off, they are hardier in the long run, and less disease-prone according to the research I did online before buying some. They do take a bit longer to get really well established- but that isn't a big surprise. I bet at the plant sales at the Berkeley arboretum they have own-root roses. I water my roses the same as the rest of my gardens (I really subscribe to the "survival of the fittest" version of gardening after the first year a plant is in my garden. It either lives or it doesn't). Anyway, watering in summer 2-3 times per week (depending on how hot it is). My soil is gradually getting better, but still has plenty of clay. I'm sure there are winters where they have wet feet. I've never had a rose die. I do add LOTS of greensand when planting and then every year as top dressing. This seems to have helped. I feed when I think about it- probably twice per year. I use all organic stuff- often whatever I have around. I tend to go up to Peaceful Valley Farm supply in Grass Valley once a year and stock up on everything under the sun (they sell greensand in 50 lb bags). I try to get pelletized fertilizers when ever i can, as otherwise you have to contend with dust when spreading it (and I do the toss a cup full here and there method). I did get a soil test done also- so I try to gear some of my choices toward that. I'm apparently forever low in nitrogen. I really should get a new test done. Maybe I'll go order the test kit and bring in the sample next time I drive up there..... Hmmm. Their catalog is really informative too- everything you ever wanted to know about soil amendments+. I've had stuff delivered in the past too- but at a certain point it just makes more sense to drive up rather than pay the shipping. Oh- I also found that if I pre-ordered before I went, then I didn't have to be disappointed by stuff being sold out then I got there. Their website is:
www.groworganic.com

Oh- and I got the greatest gardening 'bucket' thing from there. It is so handy to haul all kinds of stuff from soil to weeds. I've killed several of those pop-up kangaroo bucket things (read- waste of money). But this recycled plastic thing is super strong and the handles make it easy to move. http://www.groworganic.com/item_GO605_Black_Recycled_Bucket__Medium.html

I may have run out of room to plant anything else in my own garden- but hey, as long as we have this list I will always feel like I'm planting something just from all the good questions you all ask and new planting plans you come up with : ) Seems that everyone else but us West Coast gardeners is asleep. Well, soon we'll have Jim in the same time zone too : )
Theresa

David Franzman wrote:
Hey Theresa

Thanks for the info. I forgot about Vintage Gardens. They are only about
15 minutes from me. Frankly, I thought they were out of business. I
think I'll check out their web site.

What percentage are grafted? Are you worried about fatigue or senility
in the graft over the years? That was a big topic of discussion in the
hibiscus groups as well.

Theresa, how much do you water your roses and what kind of soil? Can you
plant them right in clay? Do they hate wet feet? How often do you feed?

Thanks

DF