Still breezy

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Still breezy
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 08:45:15 -0700

I've given up waiting for a non-windy weekend. It is a continual topic
of discussion around here now, we are all convinced that the weather
gods hate us for some reason. However at least for the past couple weeks
it's been windy all week and not just on the weekends so it doesn't feel
quite so personal. But geez it sure is tiring.  Spring in the desert,
what can you do.
I went hiking on Saturday. There is a pretty darn good show of
wildflowers this year, we got just enough rain to encourage the flowers
but not so much rain to enable the grass to choke them out.  My friend
and I did about 10 miles, through a canyon and up over the ridge to
another valley. Not an eye-popping display of flowers along the way but
still plenty; some places the trail was lined on both sides by a pretty
white flower; we saw lots of chia, ceanothus, two or three native
salvias, poppies, lots more. The breeze never stopped but we were moving
and it wasn't too cold.
Sunday we decided to ride out in the poppy fields. It was windy but they
won't last much longer so we went.  Now that was a sea of flowers. Must
have been a good 100 acres of nothing but poppies and goldfields, we
rode into the middle of the field and just let the color fizz in our
heads.  It's so orange you almost see an afterimage when you look away,
and the yellow patches just pop. We tried heading up into the little
hills but it just got windier and windier, it was kind of cold and then
a pack of motorcycles came by - that area is real popular with the dirt
bikes - and while the horses were only a little bothered it is so
irritating to hear them and have to keep watch all the time - so we
turned back. We might try to take off work and go during the week if the
wind calms down, because it was incredibly pretty, and hopefully we
won't see or hear any bikers.
I finally got the green beans planted and the peas are about an inch
tall now. I  haven't looked under the row cover to see what the lettuce
is doing but there's something growing there. Might be just weeds but I
hope not.  I started weeding the grass out of the dry garden late Sunday
afternoon.  There are some huge poppies in there, the salvia greggii is
blooming and so is the oenothera, everything else is still waiting. I
got about half of it done, but I filled the green waste bin and someone
down the street was riding a dirt bike around their backyard...and
around, and around, and around...it was almost 6 pm and I decided to
Now, if someone would just turn off that big fan in the sky...