Re: climbing rose

Antique Rose Emporium sells mostly, if not exclusively, own root  roses.
These are far more hardy than the grafted varieties.   Unlike Hybrid Teas and
other grafted types, the antique roses (on their own root  stock) survive in
humid areas much better.  Black spot is a constant  problem in humid areas,
however, they grow many roses that seem to never get  black spot, even during the
rainiest seasons.

I had several rose grafted rose bushes (American Beauty, etc.) that I grew
in El Paso, Texas.  When we moved to the Mojave desert in California, we  took
them and grew them successfully there.  We dug them up again, along  with
countless other plants, and rented a U-Haul to move our plants.    Much to our
disapointment after having done this quite a few times, almost every  plant,
especially the roses died.  It wasn't an immediate death as with our  wonderful
cactus collection, but a slow painful death.  I vowed off roses  until I visited
the Antique Rose Emporium in Brennam several times.  I have  been growing
these type of antique roses on their own root ever since, and am  very pleased.

I agree that the single type roses often have a "wild look", but I think
many of the doubles put the hybrid teas to shame in bloom.  Antique roses  do not
have the straight canes suitable for cutting (long stem), but the blooms  are
equally if not more attractive, in my opinion.
_The Antique Rose Emporium -  Dedicated to Cultivating the Best Antique Roses
for Gardeners_ (http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/)     or  cut and paste:
_http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/_ (http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/)

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 4/6/2008 11:55:33 PM Central Daylight Time,