Re: climbing rose

will chime in in the rose question -- I have 3 Don Juan climbers -- dark red, quite fragrant, and very tough on my west side, strong growers and bloomers. They are already budding up and have much new growth.
--Barb Tandy, Grass Valley CA
----- Original Message ----- From: <TeichFauna@aol.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 11:25 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] climbing rose

Antique Rose Emporium sells mostly, if not exclusively, own root  roses.
These are far more hardy than the grafted varieties. Unlike Hybrid Teas and other grafted types, the antique roses (on their own root stock) survive in humid areas much better. Black spot is a constant problem in humid areas, however, they grow many roses that seem to never get black spot, even during the
rainiest seasons.

I had several rose grafted rose bushes (American Beauty, etc.) that I grew
in El Paso, Texas. When we moved to the Mojave desert in California, we took
them and grew them successfully there.  We dug them up again, along  with
countless other plants, and rented a U-Haul to move our plants. Much to our disapointment after having done this quite a few times, almost every plant, especially the roses died. It wasn't an immediate death as with our wonderful cactus collection, but a slow painful death. I vowed off roses until I visited
the Antique Rose Emporium in Brennam several times.  I have  been growing
these type of antique roses on their own root ever since, and am very pleased.

I agree that the single type roses often have a "wild look", but I think
many of the doubles put the hybrid teas to shame in bloom. Antique roses do not have the straight canes suitable for cutting (long stem), but the blooms are
equally if not more attractive, in my opinion.
_The Antique Rose Emporium - Dedicated to Cultivating the Best Antique Roses for Gardeners_ (http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/) or cut and paste: _http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/_ (http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/)

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 4/6/2008 11:55:33 PM Central Daylight Time,