Re: Weather/ plastic

We use plastic all the time, have been for years.  We used to use  sheets,
but they would not allow the light through, and they would become wet,  were too
small at times, were unsightly, and blow off, etc.  We have  found that using
plastic over plants that are in the ground, in pots on the  ground, or plants
near the house really works well.  The key is not to let  the plastic lay
ontop of the plants.  We use large sheets that we secure to  the gutter and hang
down and have bricks on to protect the plants near the  house.  Most of the
plants (especially tomatoes are in cages) have poles or  stakes for support or
such, which the plastic can easily drape over the top  without touching the
plants.  Even where the plants are touched on the  sides, the plastic doesn't
hurt it.  We use the clear plastic obtained at  Home Depot/Lowes.  It comes in
different mil thick, and we reuse it for  years.  You can get 10 to 20 foot
width.

We put the plastic up when we hear of a freeze coming......we do it before  a
freeze...that way the ground and the sun warm up the area within the plastic,
 and maintain that warmth.  It works exactly like a hothouse or greenhouse
would.  Same material.   The key is to vent it when it gets  warm again.  I
have yet to lose a plant to the plastic touching the plant  or such, but I have
lost a plant to cooking it to death by not venting the  plastic the next day
after a freeze when the temps warmed up again.  If it  is only one night, you
can take it off again....if more nights, vent the plastic  if the temps go up
quite a bit.  Here we have dips into freezing at night  sometimes, but the day
time temps will be in the 70's.  If the temps stay  cold day and night, keep it
covered.

No freeze forecast for here, although temps will dip down in the 40's that
night.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 4/13/2008 3:10:52 PM Central Daylight Time,