RE: Weather

It was warm here, at least in the 80s. Husband and I took off work on
Friday to go horseback riding amongst the poppies. I took a few pictures
and if I can figure out Flickr I'll put them up. There are so many
flowers it was just awesome, had to be a few hundred acres of solid
orange. Just a little bit of wind, nothing like the gales we've been
experiencing for the last three weeks.
We also rode Sunday up in the foothills to see more flowers. The variety
is not quite as spectacular as it was the year we had so much rain, but
there were still lots. The purple of the thistle sage against the orange
poppies was particularly stunning. From the top of the ridge we could
see the blaze of flowers where we rode on Friday, about 20 miles away.
Sadly we forgot the camera Sunday.
We are wondering what's happening with our own little wildflower
display. Our neighbor's yard is brilliant with goldfields and poppies.
Ours had goldfields, which are mostly fading out while his are still
going strong, and very few poppies. I am sure that the sheep grazing out
there have had an impact but we've had sheep for 15 years, always the
same routine, and up until this year have not noticed any difference
between next door and our yard.
Saturday I worked in the garden! It was warm, but the wind came back, I
ignored it. I transplanted all my peppers into bigger pots and I'll let
them grow in the greenhouse for another few weeks. I ended up with about
70 plants and so far they all look good. I put six tomato plants out and
got them mulched and protected in case of cold weather to come, and I
planted the squash seeds. Still haven't gotten under the row cover to
check out the lettuce or the peas, but I can see a lot of pea plants so
I think they're okay.
The dry garden is starting to really bloom. I have weeded about
three-quarters of it, and it shouldn't take more than a couple hours to
finish, I just have to find the hours. There are poppies; salvia greggii
is looking good, so are salvias dorrii, spathacea, chamaedryoides and
clevelandii, but not the leucophylla. The Shasta buckwheat is close to
blooming. Spanish lavender is just getting started. My spineless opuntia
cactus is dead for sure, but I am going to wander down to the neighbor's
and see if they will let me take a few pads off theirs, it is nice and
big.
I have a few roses on the bushes I didn't manage to prune and some iris.
The daffodils are gone. The purple lilacs are fading and the white lilac
is in full bloom now. Gophers took a big toll on my dwarf nandina in the
teahouse garden, and the rest of it needs some work, but at least it's
not a big weed factory. I have much to do in the front yard, but I'm
trying not to obsess over what's not getting done.

Cyndi