From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 6:18:55 PM
Subject: [CHAT] plant sale

I had my annual plant sale this weekend. I took in $1700, of which about
$1500 was plants.  I have 20 pots left.

A nice young girl stopped by late this afternonn hoping to pick out a few
plants.  She explained that she was newly married and they have their first
home and she wanted to try her hand at gardening, but she was afraid she
wasn't very good at it.  She bought a package deal of 100 bulbs and plants
from MICHIGAN BULB last year and only 6 are showing any sign of life.  Even
the Lily of the Valley isn't up yet.  I told her to stop buying from MB and
gave her a couple of relatively inexpensive catlogues from reliable
mailorder nurseries.  Then I dug up about a 15 inch square chunk of Lily of
the Valley for her.

I had hoped when Gardens Alive took over the Michigan Bulb group that they
would clean it up a little instead of continuing shady practices with, for
the most part, crap products.  MB is where a lot of newbies start because
they see it in the Sunday paper.  Then when things go wrong, they think it's
their own fault, are dejected, and quit.  I really hate that.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5