From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Kitty
Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 4:19 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] plant sale

I had my annual plant sale this weekend. I took in $1700, of which about

$1500 was plants.  I have 20 pots left.

A nice young girl stopped by late this afternonn hoping to pick out a
few
plants.  She explained that she was newly married and they have their
first
home and she wanted to try her hand at gardening, but she was afraid she

wasn't very good at it.  She bought a package deal of 100 bulbs and
plants
from MICHIGAN BULB last year and only 6 are showing any sign of life.
Even
the Lily of the Valley isn't up yet.  I told her to stop buying from MB
and
gave her a couple of relatively inexpensive catlogues from reliable
mailorder nurseries.  Then I dug up about a 15 inch square chunk of Lily
of
the Valley for her.

I had hoped when Gardens Alive took over the Michigan Bulb group that
they
would clean it up a little instead of continuing shady practices with,
for
the most part, crap products.  MB is where a lot of newbies start
because
they see it in the Sunday paper.  Then when things go wrong, they think
it's
their own fault, are dejected, and quit.  I really hate that.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5