It's really spring now

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: It's really spring now
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 09:35:21 -0700

I did a lot of work outside this weekend again. We didn't ride as my
horse has a cough (not serious, he's eating like...well, you know... but
until the vet tells us what it is he's grounded) so there was nothing to
distract me from the garden. Very nice weather too, a tad windy Saturday
afternoon and somewhat overcast on Sunday, but nice and warm. I finally
uncovered my beds in the veggie garden and as usual, results are mixed.
I only have 5 beds planted so far - peas, lettuce, tomatoes, beans, and
squash. The weeds are not bad at all, much less than I expected. Maybe I
did better at keeping them in check last year? I'll take it, anyway.
The peas are almost all up and looking very good, there's a couple bare
spots but not bad.  The bean seed was pretty old and germination wasn't
so hot there, out of four rows I got only one filled (must have been a
different packet) with a lot of big gaps in the other three. I used up
all the seed I had left to replant but chances are I won't get a huge
crop of green beans this year. 'S okay, I still have jars left from last
summer.  Lettuces look pretty good but the soaker hose is too old, they
are right on the verge of not getting enough water, I'll have to hand
water for a month it looks like. No spinach, the seed must have been too
old. Not as much cilantro as I would have liked either, but oh well.
Tomatoes look good, I shouldn't have to replace any. On an impluse I put
some cucumber seeds in the bare spots of the pea bed; I cut the garden
back by half to conserve on water and I wasn't going to do them
originally, but they can't suck up THAT much.  My peppers in the
greenhouse look very good and I expect I'll put them out next weekend. I
need to figure out this year's rabbit defense too.
Most of my patio plants are out of the greenhouse now but there's still
a couple left. I have a habit of starting cuttings of various bits
without knowing where they'll end up so I always have little pots of
things I don't know what to do with. In this case it's a  sedum, I think
they call it "pork and beans", and the bulbine frutescens.  I was trying
to get the bulbine established in the dry garden but it died again last
winter. I was hoping we were on the right edge of its hardiness zone but
no. Too bad.  I put some of the sedum out there this weekend but I am
sure it is not hardy enough to survive over winter.
I have mentioned before that I would like to hire a gardener to take
over some of the cleanup tasks but husband was against it. So I have
been giving him a lot more chores now which he has done uncomplainingly.
Digging out weed trees, tweaking a host of sprinklers, and so on.
Saturday I asked him to mow the lawns, much easier than the manual labor
he's been doing, very small lawns actually. But after one lawn he says
"You know, we probably could hire a gardener".  He really hates mowing.
Hah!  Now I just have to get serious about what I think someone else
could do and then start looking for help.
Roses, iris, weigela, gaillardia, and the entire dry garden is in bloom.
The achillea is almost there, no signs of buds on the daylilies yet, nor
the Shasta daisies.  I am not very happy with the back trees I had
trimmed; they'll look better in time but husband and I are thinking we
should just grit our teeth and hire the seriously expensive company for
the front trees next winter. I better start saving now. Actually I
should take a picture of the poor back trees now, to remind myself next
winter why it's worth paying four figures for tree trimming.

Cyndi