Re: Nursery

Not much room left to plant. It's a small yard that's been fairly densely planted. There are a few possibilities, however, without making a major make-over. I mentioned she wants more raised beds, mostly for vegetables and herbs, so that's going to create some opportunities, I think. And there is quite a bit of fence that is available for vines--probably clematis. There's a maple tree in front that has a horrible configuration--v-shaped trunk--that probably split apart before too many years and need to be replaced. There are also lots of plants I don't recognize, so I want to spend a year or so just observing before I think about anything major.

On Apr 29, 2008, at 3:54 AM, Kitty wrote:

Does your sister's place offer you any space to "do your own thing", Jim? Will she return from her trip to a garden makeover?

neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "james singer" <islandjim1@comcast.net >
To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 8:31 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Nursery

We went shopping this morning, then dropped in on one of the local nurseries on the way home. I spent the whole time--well, most of it-- reading name tags. This is truly turning out to be a "learning experience." May 1 is the official last frost date, so we were looking for bedding plants specifically, but the woman explained that the prolonged cold weather this year had fouled up their ordering schedule, so most annuals and such wouldn't be arriving until later in the week. Saw lots of stunning clematis, azaleas, and rhododendrons, however.

Island Jim
Inland in Oregon
44.99 N 123.04 W
Elevation 148'
USDA Zone 7
Heat Zone 5
Sunset Zone 6

Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.6/1402 - Release Date: 4/28/2008 1:29 PM

Island Jim
Willamette Valley
44.99 N 123.04 W
Elevation 148'