Re: Nursery

Hi Cyndi. Yep, got the Sunset Western Garden book [also got Sunset's National Garden book--not nearly as good]. I've been lugging the Western book around most of my adult life. It was one of the text books in a hort class I took once at El Camino CC. Indispensable reference.

it's not merely learning new things that's good for the brain, it's challenging it. Crossword puzzles and chess games are good for you, too. But the Oregon garden will surely be a rewarding challenge in that department.

On Apr 29, 2008, at 3:24 PM, Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/ SCSRT wrote:

Learning new things is supposed to keep your brain young isn't it?
Should be interesting to have an entirely new plant palette and climate
to figure out.
Do you have a Sunset Western Garden Book handy?

Cyndi

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 11:44 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Nursery

Not much room left to plant. It's a small yard that's been fairly
densely planted. There are a few possibilities, however, without
making a major make-over. I mentioned she wants more raised beds,
mostly for vegetables and herbs, so that's going to create some
opportunities, I think. And there is quite a bit of fence that is
available for vines--probably clematis. There's a maple tree in front
that has a horrible configuration--v-shaped trunk--that probably split
apart before too many years and need to be replaced. There are also
lots of plants I don't recognize, so I want to spend a year or so just
observing before I think about anything major.